The Advisory: Volume 8, Issue 5, December 2010
Executive Director's Report
Developing Organizational Priorities at the Law Society of Alberta
By Don Thompson, QC, Executive Director, Law Society of Alberta
THE ASPIRATIONS of the Law Society of Alberta are set out in a new 2010-2013 Strategic Plan.
The Law Society of Alberta continues to be guided by its vision and its mission, and the Strategic Plan is intended to enable the Law Society to achieve its vision.
The Strategic Plan was developed during the January and April 2010 Bencher meetings, and the priorities from the plan were incorporated into a three-year priority plan which was presented to the Benchers in June 2010. These priorities were incorporated into the business plan and budget for 2011 and considered by the Benchers in September and October 2010.
STRATEGIC PLAN 2010-2013
GOAL 1: MODEL REGULATOR
Be a model regulator by promoting and ensuring high ethical standards and competence on the part of all those seeking admission to and practising law in Alberta
- The Law Society will meet or exceed national standards for admission to the Alberta bar.
- Clearly articulated standards for ethical conduct will be in place.
- Lawyers in Alberta will be knowledgeable about and demonstrate high levels of competence and ethical behaviour in their practice.
- Appropriate, effective and timely corrective action will be taken when lawyers fail to meet competency and ethical standards.
- Complaints and other steps within the conduct process will be managed in an effective and timely manner.
- Risk mitigation vehicles will be in place relating to financial loss arising from lawyers’ errors and theft.
GOAL 2: PUBLIC CONFIDENCE
Build public confidence in the profession and the Law Society as a regulator by being effective, fair, timely, transparent and responsive.
- The Law Society will be viewed by government as providing objective advice in the public interest on all matters relating to the regulation of the legal profession.
- The value of an independently regulated profession will be recognized by government, the profession and the public.
- The Law Society will be seen by the public, the profession and government as being effective, fair, transparent and responsive.
GOAL 3: PRINCIPLES OF JUSTICE
Uphold and preserve the principles of justice fundamental to a free democratic society, particularly client-solicitor privilege, the rule of law, and the independence of courts and lawyers.
- Lawyers and the courts remain independent.
- Solicitor-client privilege is preserved.
GOAL 4: ACCESS TO JUSTICE
Promote access to high quality legal services.
- The public will have improved access to competent legal services.
- The public will have increased access to legal information.
- The Law Society will provide, and be viewed by government as providing, objective advice in the public interest on access to justice issues.
- The legal profession will reflect the diversity of the society it serves.
- The Law Society will conduct its business in a manner that respects equity and diversity.
GOAL 5: ORGANIZATIONAL CAPACITY
Ensure the Law Society has the required organizational infrastructure and business supports in place to achieve the Law Society’s mission and strategic goals.
- Effective Bencher succession planning policies and practices will be in place.
- The Law Society’s strategic, business and budget planning processes will be clearly articulated, communicated and effectively aligned.
- The Law Society will operate with a clearly established governance model consistent with governance best practices, recognizing the unique role of the Law Society and the Benchers.
- The Law Society will have an adequate complement of appropriately skilled employees to effectively achieve its mission and strategic goals.
- Workloads for Law Society volunteers will be appropriate and manageable.
Facilities and Equipment:
- The Law Society will have the required facility and equipment infrastructure to support effective and efficient operations.
LAW SOCIETY OF ALBERTA—STRATEGIC PLANNING FRAMEWORK
[Back to Index]