The Advisory: Volume 10, Issue 3, July 2012
Goals and Objectives of Pro Bono Law Alberta
Pro Bono Law Alberta promotes access to the justice system in Alberta by creating and promoting opportunities for lawyers to provide pro bono legal services to persons of limited means. It undertakes activities relating to these specific goals:
- Create opportunities for Alberta lawyers to discharge their professional responsibilities to provide pro bono legal services.
- Improve the overall delivery of pro bono legal services by facilitating the integration and co-ordination of services provided by pro bono organizations throughout the province of Alberta.
- Ensure province-wide access to high-quality pro bono legal services to persons of limited means by: (i) supporting and improving the quality of existing pro bono programs; (ii) working with existing pro bono legal clinics to assist them in providing pro bono services; and (iii) fostering the development of new pro bono programs where needed.
- Enhance the growth of a pro bono culture within the Alberta bar.
- Raise general public awareness of pro bono legal services to community organizations and persons of limited means who require legal services.
- Raise the awareness of Alberta lawyers of the need for pro bono services and of the resources available to lawyers who are prepared to provide pro bono services.
[Back to Index]