Frequently Asked Questions

Alberta Lawyers Providing Legal Services Elsewhere

Contact information for Canadian Law Societies may be found here.

1. What kind of work brings me under the oversight of another law society?

Unless you are clearly advised otherwise by the relevant governing body, you should work based on the premise that other NMA jurisdictions define the provision of legal services as:

to engage in the practice of law

(a) physically in that jurisdiction, except with respect to the law of your home jurisdiction, or

(b) with respect to the law of that jurisdiction physically in any jurisdiction,

including providing legal services respecting federal jurisdiction in that jurisdiction.

2. I am a member of the Law Society of Alberta. I want to provide legal services in relation to another jurisdiction (temporarily or permanently). What can I do? What do I need to do?

The provision of legal services in another jurisdiction is governed by those jurisdictions. You should contact the governing body of the jurisdiction in question.

3. What do I have to do to become a member of another Canadian law society?

If that law society has signed and implemented the NMA and you are currently entitled to practise law in Alberta, the general rule is that you will not be required to write transfer examinations. Otherwise, you will have to meet the requirements of the local law society. In other words, you will likely be required to write transfer examinations. You may be required to meet other conditions. However, you need to contact the law society in question to determine exactly what is required.

4. I do not have a Canadian common law degree, and my degree was assessed by the Universities Co-ordinating Council rather than the National Committee on Accreditation. Will this affect my transfer to another province?

The rules of the law society to which you intend to transfer will govern this. The National Mobility Agreement does not have an impact on this.

[Back to top]