Insurance Renewal Information
The Alberta Lawyers Insurance Exchange (ALIEX) Advisory Board has approved the Alberta Lawyers Insurance Association (ALIA) Insurance levy for insured lawyers as $4,173.75 (GST inclusive). The levy is comprised of Errors and Omissions Coverage (Part A) and Trust Safety Coverage (Part B) for the 2016/2017 policy year.
To renew your insurance coverage for the upcoming policy year (July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2018), you are required to remit a levy payment on or before June 30, 2017.
Each active member must pay the insurance levy fee in the amount of $4,173.75 (GST inclusive).
The insurance levy can be paid by two instalments or a single payment.
If you choose to pay by instalments:
- there is a service charge of $50 plus GST
- you will be required to remit the first instalment by June 30, 2016
- the second instalment will be due January 3, 2017
The insurance levy is subject to a surcharge, where specified, for members with a claims paid record. A surcharge remains in effect for a period of five years. If you have questions about surcharge amounts, contact Veronica D’Souza at 403-229-4719 or 1-800-661-1694.
For more details, please see:
Method of Payment
- Fees are payable to the Alberta Lawyers Insurance Association (making a payment).
- If paying your fees through the Lawyer Portal, you may pay by credit card.
- Post-dated cheques cannot be accepted.
Exemptions from the Levy
Exempt active lawyers are insured at no charge for Pro Bono services provided through:
- Volunteer Lawyers Services program
- Calgary Legal Guidance
- The Edmonton Community Legal Centre
- The Central Alberta Community Legal Clinic
- Lethbridge Legal Guidance
- The Children's Legal and Education Resource Centre
- Grande Prairie Legal Guidance
As the value of client matters and transactions increases over time, so does the need to secure adequate levels of errors and omissions insurance. Lawyers continue to have the option of purchasing voluntary excess coverage for additional protection. To obtain excess coverage, contact by calling ALIA at 403-229-4716 (1-800-661-1694) or email.
Pro-rated Refunds Not Available
Pro-rated refunds on levies paid will not be available to lawyers leaving private practice mid-policy year.
A $5,000 deductible will be applied on all professional liability claims submitted to ALIEX.
Change of Status
If you wish to change your insurance or membership status, please contact us for the appropriate forms, fees and instructions.
Contact Membership by phone or email.
Relevant Rules of the Law Society of Alberta
165 Sanctions for Late Payment
(3) Each active member shall, on or before the date or dates specified in the notice sent by Alberta Lawyers Insurance Association under Rule 147 for payment of the professional liability insurance assessment, pay the full amount or amounts shown on the notice. In default of payment, the member shall stand automatically suspended as of July 15 in that year unless payment in full is received by that date.
In the event the member elects to pay the professional liability insurance assessment in two instalments, in default of payment either instalment, the member shall stand automatically suspended as of July 15 in that year or January 15 in the following year, as the case may be.