Reinstating Your Membership
An application for reinstatement to the Law Society of Alberta is required if you are:
- An inactive member who wishes to become active, entitled to practise law
- An active member not entitled to practise law who wishes to become active, entitled to practise law
- A suspended member who wishes to become an active or inactive member
Former members of the Law Society who wish to resume membership must apply for reinstatement of their membership. This applies to:
- Former judges who wish to resume membership
- Resigned members who wish to resume membership
- Non-members wishing to resume membership
Disbarred members who wish to resume membership must review Part IV, Division 1 of the Rules. Please note special provisions apply. Applications for reinstatement of disbarred members do not follow the same process as other applications for reinstatement mentioned earlier. Contact Membership Services for more information.
To apply for reinstatement you must submit the following documents and fees:
- Application for Reinstatement
- Application by a Former Judge for Reinstatement (to be completed by former judges only). Contact the Law Society to obtain this form
- Application by a Former Member for Reinstatement (to be completed by former members only). Contact the Law Society to obtain this form
- Non-refundable reinstatement fee (Fee Schedule) payable to the Law Society of Alberta (making a payment)
- Certificate of Standing (if applicable)
All forms are to be provided by mail or email to Membership Services.
If you have responded "yes" to any of the questions listed on your reinstatement application, you must provide full disclosure and include all official documentation. That could include court documents, bankruptcy discharge documentation and medical reports.
Certificate of Standing
If applicable, you must provide a Certificate of Standing from each governing body of which you are or have been a member, in or outside of Canada.
If you have practised law or articled for periods aggregating less than 12 months out of the 48 months immediately preceding the date on which your application for reinstatement is received, your application may be referred to a reinstatement panel. See Rule 118(1)(a) and/or contact Membership Services for more information.
Referral to Other Law Society Committees
Your application may be referred to the Conduct Committee and/or the Practice Review Committee. See Rule 118 for more information.
[Back to top]